Monday, January 29, 2007

Updates

So, I have some updating to do. Before I start, some really quality songs have come up on shuffle lately. Nealey and I have the 20GB iPod going most of the day. Including Mike's "Part of your World", Ben's "Le Musique", and an epic almost 10 minute "Baby I'm Yours" Seasons jam. Okay, now the updates.
The Rummikub record is now K:3, N:1. Nealey won the most recent game. I have started to hang some art and clocks on the walls here. The apartment is looking quite nice. Nealey starts work in a week. Things are going well.
Nealey and I saw Pan's Labyrinth. I enjoyed the movie a lot. I feel like I am holding back a little. I can't like it as much as I want to. I spoke to Mike a bit about the movie and we talked about some of the things I am about to write. The movie doesn't really explain the "other world" a lot. It just presents it, in a way that is somewhat "believable". I suppose that is the nature of a fairy tale, it doesn't take time to explain why everything is the way it is, it just is. There wasn't any long history on how little fairy came to be friends of Pan. There wasn't some explaination as to how everything came to be. It just starts, there was a kingdom... One item that I could have liked more was the character of Pan. First, I didn't like his voice all that much. Second, I wanted his part to be larger. I know he is supposed to be mysterious because we aren't really supposed to know if he is good or bad. However, as a whole, I enjoyed the movie a lot. Very pretty, dark a lot, great music.

5 comments:

Michael said...

GK Chesterton has a lot of interesting things to say about fairy tales. In general, he has a great point that people blast fairy tales for not explaining how the world exists, or why it's strange events happen. His thought is that gravity is no less mysterious or stranger than cinderella's midnight curfue which breaks her spell.

I mean, calling it "gravity" doesn't really explain why it works, right? It just....does....

In that way, a fairy tale world can be completely consistent and logical within its world, even if it does things that don't seem to happen in our world. Because of that, they can still be wonderful tools to talk about the good, the true, and the beautiful (and the ugly counterparts to those things).

Miss K said...

Tolkien has lots of great (and sort of hilariously pompous) things to say about fairy tales, too (which I won't summarize here...read "On Fairy Stories"). Perhaps he might have actually liked Pan's?!

I don't know how to feel about it, but I agree with a few of your sentiments, Kevin. I don't think I needed more explanation of Ofelia imagination, though--I just wanted *more*. I *loved* Pan and wanted more. They only showed the pale-faced man once? What's with that.

I watched several clips of the film before going to see it, and nearly all of them were of Ofelia's imagination, so I thought there would be lots more. Don't go in with high expectations--my theory for movies and often life--then you won't be disappointed. Also, I am like a little girl with blood, and more Fascist Spain war scenes meant more of me cringing, whining, and covering my eyes in a movie theater.

Soren said...

Thanks Kevin for not acknowledging the MAJOR input I gave you in our extensive phone call about postmodernism, Roscoe's, and tairy fales, just minutes before you and Mrs. Cray entered the theatre! I thought we were friends, fellows of the one true ring if you will, but I guess that was washed down with the last Arby's milkshake we shared the night you left Mike with a hammer dulcimer but no hammers. That's how I feel, an insipid glockenspeil without hammers. I hope you're happy. I just hope you're happy, nestled in that smoke-fllled kitchen of yours.

Your former acquaintance, and fellow shortstop-turned-outfielder, Soren Juneau.

K.Cray said...

I am speechless

Bruce in Alaska said...

Who is this Soren guy--put him in his place!